Friday 14 June 2013

Easily block your bath's overflow

This little bathtub overflow blocker is so simple, easy to use and cheap! It will block your bathtub' overflow so you can enjoy a deeper bath.

I used to get so annoyed by my overflow drain stopping me from having a proper deep bath. The constant gurgling of the overflow drain was also pretty damn annoying. What's the point in having a bath if you can't even fill it to the top! I can't understand why they even use these overflow drains in the first place.
















This cover sticks to the side of your bath with tiny suction cups, which grip and seal.

Click here to view on Amazon

 
Confusion regarding overflow drains

Most people believe that bathtub overflow drains exist in order to prevent overflow during unattended bathtub filling.

This is actually not the case. If this were the reason, it wouldn't be good enough to me anyway! I'd rather flood my bathroom once every now and then, than have to put up with shallow baths for my entire life and have to hear the annoying gurgling noise as water goes down the overflow drain.  Perhaps if I was suffering from dementia, then I'd see why an overflow drain would be a special bath feature that would be useful. However, ordinary people like me need deep baths more than we need the 'protection' of an overflow drain. We know when we're running a bath, we can hear it, we don't need an overflow drain.
  


Trip lever housing..?

I actually just searched for the reason and it stated that bath overflows are actually called "trip lever housings' and were not intended to act as overflows. There was actually a change of legislation which meant that the bathtub molds originally made had a hole in the wrong position, which became redundant and was then converted into these trip lever housings. I don't exactly understand the descriptions, but they don't act as overflow drains and they were never meant to. However, the common misconception has lead to generations of people who believe these are overflow drains, with bathtubs being made with the hole in the same position.

So, they're not only irritating and bath ruining, they're also a total stuff up with no purpose!

If you'd like to buy one of the overflow blockers mentioned above,  Click here to view on Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment